Here is a discussion topic that I want to throw out to anyone, especially those interested in additional languages. What are some ways that technology could be used to enhance the learning of an additional language?
As a French teacher, I want to be able to provide as much assistance and provide as many resources to my students as possible. Some of the ways that I’ve used technology in teaching French as a Second language are:
- Smartboard activites: there are many “ready to go” smartboard ressources online for French teachers. Students would use these if they were done their work or often used as revision
- youtube videos: Every week, I introduced my students to a new French artist or band and we’d study the lyrics and listen/watch the song
- using the internet to expose students to other French accents other than mine or my co-op teachers
Being in ECMP 355 has given me so many new ideas on how technology could be so beneficial to students learning a new language. Some of the ideas that I brainstormed are:
- Getting students to use audio recordings to present oral reports or to use it as a journal every week
- Videos to record interviews or make presentations
- Blogging as another form of journal keeping on a regular basis
- Twitter to connect with other similar classrooms around the world
If you have other ideas, please add them to the list!